“Can Diabetics Have Yogurt?” This is a very popular question and in this article, we have tried to highlight the pros and cons of including yogurt in your diet plan if you happen to suffer from diabetes. While yogurt is considered a healthy option, the diabetics have to be really cautious of their diet. So, we have also included some guidelines which when followed will enable you to include yogurt in your diet effectively.
So, come and join in for the article “Is Yogurt Good or Bad for Diabetics?”
Table of Contents
Facts About Various Yogurt Types
You get different types of yogurt in the market depending on the ingredients which go into the making of the same. The varieties found may include pain or flavored Greek yogurt, vanilla yogurt, amongst others. The following are some nutritional facts about each type:
- 6 ounces of plain Greek yogurt contains somewhere around 6 to 8 grams of carbohydrates and around 4 to 8 grams of sugar.
- 6 ounces of flavored Greek yogurt contains somewhere around 16 to 22 grams of carbohydrates and around 12 to 18 grams of sugar.
- 6 ounces of plain yogurt contains somewhere around 11 to 15 grams of carbohydrates and around 10 to 12 grams of sugar.
- 6 ounces of plain vanilla yogurt contain somewhere around 22 to 23 grams of carbohydrates and around 21 to 28 grams of sugar.
It is essential to know the above because when you are a person who suffers from diabetes, you have to be careful of the total amount of carbohydrates and other nutrients that you are consuming on a daily basis.
Benefits of Including Yogurt in a Diabetic Diet
The following are the advantages of including yogurt in your diabetic diet if you are someone who suffers from a condition like diabetes:
- Yogurt is a rich source of calcium and protein as mentioned above. With this, the daily requirement of protein which the body requires and is somewhere around 60 grams per day can be fulfilled to a great extent.
- The live cultures which are known to be present in a few yogurt varieties play an important role in boosting the immunity system of the body which is deeply weakened and hampered by diabetes and its related complications.
- As yogurt is a fermented food, it consists of probiotics or “good bacteria” as they are known as. This good bacterium helps to deal with diabetes-related complications in a great manner. This good bacterium helps to reduce inflammation in the body, while also improving the production of useful hormones that control the appetite of various individuals.
- Besides, the regular consumption of yogurt helps in providing a smooth digestive tract, something that plays an important role in effectively dealing with diabetes.
- Depending on the type of yogurt you choose, the carbohydrate content in the food is low. This is true of the different variety of yogurt such as the unsweetened Greek yogurt. If you choose the right variety, you can definitely get several health benefits from the same.
- Yogurt consumption has also been known to reduce the levels of blood glucose which is a major complication in people who suffer from diabetic related complications.
- Several studies conducted by different experts have further suggested that including the right type of yogurt in your daily diet can reduce the risk of contracting type 2 diabetes to as much as 18 percent.
- Finally, maintaining stable blood pressure levels is also something that is recommended to those who suffer from diabetes. You can achieve the same if you regularly consume the right type of yogurt. You can thereby get several health benefits.
Having seen the benefits of including yogurt in your everyday diabetic diet, it is highly imperative that you do consider the following risks associated with the consumption of yogurt.
Risks Associated with the Consumption of Yogurt for the Diabetes Patients
Following are some of the risk factors that you may face if you are eating yogurt regularly and are diabetic:
- If you are taking whole fat yogurt, you will have to avoid the same. The reason being that this variety of yogurt consists of a lot of saturated fats and the same may not be beneficial for your health. If you already have diabetes, you run the risk of developing atherosclerosis.
- You also run the risk of developing several heart-related conditions because of the above-mentioned reason
In the light of some of the risks that you may face while you are diabetic, choosing the right type of yogurt and following some basic guidelines will go a long way in helping you manage diabetes effectively while also including yogurt in the diet plan.
Some Guidelines to Follow When You include Yogurt in Your Diet
Yogurt can be highly beneficial for your health if you follow some appropriate guidelines and choose the right type of yogurt for yourself.
- Do not go for those yogurts which say that they have been treated with heat. Yogurt comprises of essential probiotics or good bacteria as they are called. If the yogurt is heated, the essential bacteria might just go away.
- Avoid adding a lot of sugar whenever you are eating yogurt. It takes away the otherwise healthy effects from it.
- Also, remember that if you suffer from the condition of being intolerant to lactose, you will have to avoid the type of yogurt that is made out of cow’s milk.
- If you are diabetic, you should go for that variety of yogurts which are high in protein but low in the total amount of carbohydrates.
- When you want some kind of toppings on your yogurt such as nuts, berries, etc. it is wise that you choose the toppings on your own. The reason for this is that if you go with the yogurt from the market which already has some topping, it might have unnecessary artificial sweeteners added to it which can lead to an increase in the levels of blood glucose.
- Besides, you should make yogurt a part of your diabetic meal plan. This is to say that you should count the total number of proteins and carbohydrates that you are eating by way of consuming yogurt. Take care to not go beyond the maximum recommended quantity of the essential nutrients required in one day for a diabetic patient.
Thus, to conclude, you can definitely enjoy yogurt as part of your everyday meal plan even if you have diabetes, provided you do follow the above-mentioned basic guidelines.
We hope that the above article has been helpful in clarifying some of the doubts you must have had about the inclusion of yogurt in your diet if you happen to suffer from diabetes. Yogurt has several health benefits that you surely cannot ignore. Having said that, when you are diabetic, you need to take extra care and include the food in your diet after proper consultation with your diabetes doctor. Also, adequately follow the above-mentioned guidelines while you continue to enjoy the food item!