People are aware of the two main types of diabetes, type 1 and type 2 and the complications that these involve. However, not many are aware that there exists another type of diabetes known as Pancreatogenic diabetes or type 3c. In this article, we shall try to find out more about this type.
So, come and join in for the article “What is Type 3C (Pancreatogenic) Diabetes? It’s Causes, Complications, & Treatment.”
Table of Contents
Meaning of Pancreatogenic Diabetes
This is a type of diabetes which is mainly associated with the exocrine pancreas. It also has to do with the digestive functions of the organ. The Pancreatogenic diabetes is actually considered to be a secondary form of diabetes. When you have problems associated with the exocrine pancreas, you more often than not suffer from what is known as chronic pancreatitis.
Pancreatogenic diabetes, which is also known as type 3c diabetes mainly results from destruction of the normal functioning of the pancreas that is a result of inflammation of the pancreas, surgery, as well as various types of tumors caused in the pancreas.
What are the Causes of Pancreatogenic Diabetes?
The major causes of the type 3c diabetes are being researched by the experts. However, there are a few known causes of the condition and the same is explained in the section that follows. The following are a few major causes of the same:
- Disease of the pancreas
- Dysfunction of the digestive organs and malnutrition in the individuals
- Resection of the pancreas which mainly results from either pancreatic cancer or due to some cystic lesions in the organ
- Lack of genes in the E2F group
- Patients with pancreatic exocrine insufficiency also tend to get the problem
How do You Diagnose the existence of Pancreatogenic Diabetes?
Most of the patients who suffer from the condition of type 3c or Pancreatogenic diabetes are often misunderstood to have type 2 diabetes. However, it is important to correctly diagnose the existence of type 3c diabetes. There are both major and minor criteria to qualify that a patient is actually suffering from something called type 3c diabetes.
Some of the most important criteria which require qualification to be diagnosed as type 3c includes:
- When the body does not have enough number of auto-immune antibodies
- When there is evidence that the exocrine pancreas is not working in an efficient manner
- Doctors also conduct what is known as pancreatic imaging by using ultrasound or MRI technology.
When all the above conditions are satisfied or fulfilled, it is assured that the person has Pancreatogenic diabetes. However, there are a few minor ways in which the diagnosis is done as well. These include:
- The beta cells are not functioning appropriately
- Low levels of lipid in the body
- The insulin resistance by the body is not to a great extent
- The patient suffers from pancreas polypeptide secretion
Let us now understand the complications that could be caused as a result of type 3c diabetes:
Complications That Occur in Pancreatogenic Diabetes
The following are some of the major complications that take place in type 3c diabetes:
- Blurred vision that can even progress into blindness
- Kidney related diseases also known as diabetic nephropathy
- Several cardiovascular diseases including heart attacks and strokes
- Damage caused to various nerves of the body. Some of the damages include those caused in the nerves of the hands and legs
- Digestion complications
- Inefficient circulation of blood in different parts of the body
- Delayed healing of wounds and cuts
- Damaged blood vessels
As seen above, the complications that are caused in case of Pancreatogenic diabetes is the same as that caused in case of other type of diabetes, namely, type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Treatment of Pancreatogenic Diabetes
As seen above,Pancreatogenic diabetes can be as complicated as another different type of diabetes that we know of. Hence, it is extremely important that you treat this type of diabetes in an efficient manner. The following are some of the available treatments for the same:
- One of the major causes of type 3c diabetes, as seen above, is chronic The patients who suffer from this condition are known to suffer from what is known as malabsorption of fats. This may also result in the condition of malnutrition in the patients. This goes a long way in reducing the amounts of vitamin K, vitamin D, vitamin E, etc. in the patients. Thus, in order to treat the same, the patients are given the pancreatic enzyme orally.
- When the doctors suspect that the degree of this type of diabetes in the patients is mild, they often prescribe metformin for the patients in the initial stages of the disease.
- A few doctors, in the initial stages of the disease, go for insulin segretagogues like glinides, etc. for treatment of the condition
- Further, in order to improve the secretion of insulin, the doctors often prescribe medicines such as GLP-1, dipeptidyl peptidase-IV, amongst other therapies to improve insulin in the body
- As the complications and the nature of the disease is similar to the other type of diabetes in many aspects, doctors often advice similar treatment to the patients who suffer from Pancreatogenic diabetes as well. For example, patients are often advised to take regular doses of insulin. Insulin pump therapy is also recommended
- The other important way of dealing with this type of diabetes is to make healthy lifestyle changes. Avoid smoking and alcohol to the maximum possible extent
- If you are someone who suffers from being overweight, try to manage your weight in an efficient manner.
- Be careful of what you eat on a daily basis. You should ideally go for those food items that are rich in the fiber content. Consult your nutritionist about the right diet for you to control your type of diabetes.
Thus, although more research is being conducted by the experts on Pancreatogenic diabetes, there are a few beneficial treatments for the same.
We hope that the above post has been helpful in educating you about a new type of diabetes that is called Pancreatogenic or type 3c diabetes. Several types of research are still being conducted on this type of diabetes. However, it is imperative that you are aware of the causes and the resulting treatment for type 3c diabetes.
[su_spoiler title=”References” style=”fancy” icon=”plus-circle”]
[su_list icon=”icon: external-link” icon_color=”#1829c0″]