Diabetic is a dreadful disease that could make a person’s life miserable. He/she will have to control their diet in order to keep the diabetics level in-check. So, what exactly are diabetics? Diabetes is basically a metabolic disorder which results in the rise of blood sugar for a prolonged period of time.
Diabetes if not treated with care or neglected can cause many serious health conditions.
There are two major reasons for diabetes
- The quantity of insulin produced by the pancreas is less than what is actually required for the body
- The cells in the body do not react properly to the insulin produced by the pancreas
Diabetes is classified into three main types
- Type 1 diabetes Mellitus – pancreas fail to produce the adequate quantity of insulin
- Type 2 diabetes Mellitus – cells do not respond to insulin properly
- Gestational diabetes – occurs in pregnant ladies without any trace of diabetes in their health history all of a sudden develops diabetes.
People who are prone to diabetes are more prone to health diseases and strokes. This is because high blood sugar levels can increase atherosclerosis or can result in hardening of the arteries. Diabetes can also affect your eyes, Diabetic Retinopathy is one of the common effects of diabetes on eyes.
Even today, there are no 100% efficient treatments for diabetes. The only know methods are controlling the blood sugar level by injecting insulin into the bloodstream or can be prevented or delayed by having a controlled diet or by maintaining the normal body weight. Few experts have indicated that consuming several fruits and vegetable can also prevent and control diabetes to an extent. Pomegranate is one such fruit that can control and prevent the effects of diabetes especially the heart diseases. However, drinking pomegranate news might not completely cure diabetes; it can bring notable positive changes in the diabetes condition of your health.
Pomegranate seed extract or pomegranate juice is known to have a lot of antioxidants that are attached to the natural sugar. Few of the recent studies indicated that these sugar attached antioxidants can bring down the blood glucose levels. It was also found that pomegranates also contain polyphenols, flavonoids, and potent antioxidants that provide protection from diabetes-related heart diseases and also cancer.
Experts have mentioned that a glass of pomegranate juice has more antioxidants than green tea, red wine, and cranberries. Below mentioned are the benefits of drinking pomegranate juice.
- Antioxidants in pomegranate fight heart diseases
- Inhibits absorption of LDL cholesterol into the body
- Reduce chances of atherosclerosis
- Protect the body against atherosclerosis
PS: If you are a diabetic’s patient and if you are already on a medication, start drinking pomegranate juice only after referring to your doctor.
With all these being told here are some of the best ways to add pomegranate to your diet.
- Pomegranate juice with a healthy fat or a lean protein food
- Add pomegranate and olive oils to your salads
- Prepare pomegranate sauce
- Prepare a pomegranate shake adding milk/ yogurt and whey proteins
All the details mentioned above are from some of the reputed experts in this field, however, if you are a diabetics patient already on a medication, it is always recommended to get an advice from your doctor before starting frequent consumption of pomegranate and if you are not a diabetics patient, drinking or consuming pomegranate by any means can keep you healthy and also prevent and protect your from diabetics.