As a diabetic, you will always be aware of what to eat and what not to eat so that your disease does not get complicated and difficult to manage. Devising an adequate meal plan is a very important way of managing a condition like diabetes. In today’s article, we shall analyze more about the relationship and connection between diabetes and the maroon colored fruit kokum.
So, come and join in for the article “Is Kokum Good for Diabetic Patients?”
Table of Contents
What is Kokum?
Not many people know about the fruit Kokum. So, let us start by first understanding about the fruit. It is a small purple fruit that has its origin in south India. The fruit can be had in the form of either juice or the fruit itself. Besides, the outer cover of the kokum is dried and used as a spice in many preparations. Kokum is fondly called the “Cool King” amongst all the Indian fruits. The main health benefits of the fruit come from a compound called garcinol which is known to cure different types of illness.
Benefits of Kokum for the Diabetic Patients
If you are diabetic, the kokum fruit will help you with the following benefits:
- Kokum is a rich source of several antioxidants. These antioxidants play a great role in protecting the adverse effects on your body that is caused owing to the free radicals produced in a diabetic patient.
- Besides, the fruit is known to have neuro-protective properties implying that the regular consumption of the fruit usually protects the muscles and tissues surrounding the brain.
- When you have diabetes, you are prone to several infections and allergies as the immunity of your body weakens. The regular consumption of the kokum fruit helps you deal with all those allergies and infections, thereby protecting your body.
- In fact, kokum is given as a pill for the patients who suffer from the problem of constipation. As we know, in diabetes, one of the major complications that the diabetes face is several types of stomach disorders. By helping in constipation, the brightly colored fruit helps in diabetes management.
- Indigestion, stomach pain, amongst others are some of the other disorders caused in the digestive system owing to diabetes. Regular consumption of the fruit helps to solve all such problems.
- Kokum also contains Hydroxy Acetic Acid which reduces the conversion of excessive carbohydrates into fats, thereby helping to manage diabetes effectively.
- The fruit is also a rich source of essential minerals such as magnesium, manganese, potassium, etc. these play an important role in maintaining stable levels of blood pressure and prevents several heart-related conditions.
- Garcinol is a compound that is known to be derived from the fruit. It has anti-inflammatory properties which help to manage diabetes in an effective manner.
- Finally, weight management is an important and an effective way of managing your diabetes. The regular consumption of kokum has been known to be effective in managing obesity in a person.
Thus, consumption of kokum can be beneficial to the diabetes patients. This, however, does not take away the fact that there could be a few risks associated with the consumption of the fruit and you need to be careful about the same.
Precautions When You Include Kokum in Your Diabetic Diet
As mentioned above, there are a few precautions which you need to take when you are including the food in your overall diet plan. The following are its essential guidelines:
- Although the fruit is known to be a storehouse of essential vitamins and nutrients that provide a host of health benefits, you should be careful and not go overboard when you are eating the same. It is wise that you consult your doctor and discuss the recommended amount of kokum that is beneficial for you to include in your diet plan.
- After you have eaten kokum in any of its form-be it as a fruit or as a juice, you should be careful enough that any kind of milk products or milk should not be taken in by you for at least one hour. You can drink milk or eat any food item made out of milk after an hour of eating the fruit.
Follow the above-mentioned easy to practice guidelines while continuing to enjoy kokum and its health benefits.
What is the Best Way to Consume Kokum for Diabetes?
There are many ways in which you can consume kokum. You can either eat the fruit or make juice out of the fruit. However, in all this, the best way to consume the fruit is the spicy kokum drink which is highly beneficial for a diabetes person.
For this, you need around 6 to 7 kokum, a few green chilies, salt, sugar substitutes, and a few chopped coriander leaves. All the above things except coriander leaves should be mashed appropriately along with water. You should also add cumin powder and some cardamom. Post that, for best results, you should keep in in the refrigerator for around two to three hours. You can use the coriander leaves for garnishing at the time of serving.
We hope that the above article has been helpful in improving your understanding of the relationship that exists between diabetes and kokum. Kokum, if had in the recommended quantity under the supervision of a medical expert can go a long way in helping to deal with diabetes in an effective manner!!