Diabetes is a condition where the excess sugar of the body gets unutilized due to lack of secretion of insulin by the pancreas. If diabetes persists then several internal organs are affected. Diabetes if affects liver it’s detrimental.
Table of Contents
What happens if diabetes affects your liver?
Diabetes raises the risk of nonalcoholic fatty acid. It is a condition when fatty acid gets accumulated beside organ. High cholesterol and high blood pressure also pose the risk of the mono alcoholic fatty liver. It leads to increased liver disease, heart disease, and kidney abnormalities.
The liver plays a role in regulating glucose, and its transport from the intestine to the liver, where it remains stored for the future use. Insulin is metabolized in the liver, and it promotes the production of glycogen, cholesterol, protein, and triglyceride in your blood. The excess output of glucose results in fasting blood sugar.
Fat accumulation is the result of excess glycogen, a common factor in diabetic condition. The symptoms that are visible in a human are abdominal pain, nausea, excessive vomiting and fluid accumulation around the liver.
How to take steps to beat fatty liver formation?
- Take advice from your health care team to control your diabetes
- Losing weight is essential for diabetes
- Reduce your blood pressure with medication and proper diet, sleep, exercise, etc.
- Try keeping LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and triglycerides within recommended level.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
What food do you prefer if you have fatty acid?
There are specific food which if consumed, they will have a healing effect on the fatty liver.
- Have a pinch or garlic or might be some cloves of garlic. Garlic stimulates the cholesterol level and enables to activate an enzyme that flushes out toxic substances from the body.
- Grapefruit is rich in vitamin C and also antioxidants. A glassful of grapefruit juice removes carcinogen and other toxins from your liver.
- Beetroot and carrots have high flavonoids and beta-carotene which will stimulate liver function.
- Drinking green tea can be useful as it contains catechins, a plant-based antioxidant.
- Eating green leafy vegetable can be useful to liver health as they are capable of neutralizing heavy metals, pesticide, and other chemicals. This cleansing system offers the protective function to the liver.
- Having avocados can be beneficial to the liver. It contains glutathione, a component which cleanses harmful toxins.
- Apple, rich in pectin has the necessary component to cleanse the human body. Helps the liver in handling toxic loads from the human body.
- Cold pressed olive oil, hemp and flaxseeds provide a coating in the human body which absorbs the toxic matters. In this way, they burden off the liver from taking excessive poisonous wastes.
- Adding fiber based food like millet, wheat, and quinoa in your diet it helps in removing toxins from the body.
- Cruciferous vegetable like broccoli and cauliflower which is rich in glucosinolate supports an enzyme produced in the liver. They flush carcinogen and other wastes from the body which lowers the risk of cancer.
There can be a spectrum of other liver diseases in diabetes like- abnormal liver enzymes, NAFLD, cirrhosis, hepatocellular carcinoma, acute liver failure and many more types. So, taking care of diabetic level is like protecting your liver from probable diseases.