For many of you, this thing might not seem common, as not many cases of Diabulimia are reckoned openly. However, as things stand, Diabulimia has been affecting quite a lot of diabetic patients around. The condition also referred as the Diabetes Eating Disorder is unique to the Type 1 Diabetes.
We here would seek information about Diabulimia and discuss in brief on the matters of its causes, symptoms and treatment procedure. We will further probe the relation between diabetes and such condition along with the dealings on risk factors and care method curated for it.
Join in as we seek answers of ‘Diabulimia (The Diabetes Eating Disorder): It’s Causes, Symptoms & Treatments as part of our informative series on Diabetes.
Table of Contents
Diabulimia refers to the diagnostic term that revolves around the eating disorder trait associated with the patients suffering from Type 1 Diabetes. Although Diabulimia is not a medical term, it generally does describe the situation related to what we know as the diabetes eating disorder.
Patients suffering from Diabulimia are often found intentionally misusing the insulin levels either in form of decreased dose or omitting insulin or even delaying the dose. Since these activities result in hyperglycemia, it’s often harmful to the body.
How is Diabulimia caused?
People generally skip the insulin routines so as to go through the weight loss cheat regime. When one skips the insulin, then the bodies purges on the calories via the loss of the glucose normally through urine. People with Diabulimia often resort to inappropriate behavior as a means of weight loss.
Who are at Risk for Diabulimia?
Normally, Diabulimia is seen in those affected by Type 1 diabetes. The people preoccupied with the preteen group are amajor risk for the condition. While many diabetic advisers suggest having a constant monitoring of the body and health in terms of blood sugar levels and carbs intake, many skip these essential tasks.
It’s a reason why the insulin exploit has seen the tendency to develop the eating disorder in many. Almost 30% to 40% of women and young girls suffering from Type 1 Diabetes go on to suffer from eating disorder at least once in their lifetime.
The Symptoms of Diabulimia
Major warning sign for Diabulimia is the drastic weight loss. Pair that with the poor regulation of blood glucose levels and the symptoms rightly dedicate towards the eating disorder. Many people further show signs of thirst, increased levels of hunger, frequent urination along with growth failure.
While on the habitual routines, many showcase disjoint eating pattern or binge eating. Furthermore, one may also view the signs of refusal in eating or tantrums around eating habits and body images.
The Treatment Procedure
Diabulimia requires a coordinated approach for treatment alongside the normal diabetic treatment. It involves the multi-facet treatment in form of medical treatment, developing healthy habits, having a proper physical regime.
1) Medical Treatment
- In terms of medical treatment, you should always seek collaboration with the medical advisor like doctor, dietician and more to curate a properly devised treatment plan for you. A proper advice would help you out on the successful rendering of the blood sugar levels and control on the insulin levels of the body. As for those who show resistance to the same will be treated via the mode of hospitalization.
2) Healthy Eating Habits
- Also ranking equally in terms of importance is the intuitive eating procedure which helps in managing both diabetes and eating related issues of the body. A healthy, properly devised flexible meal pattern would mean that your body is never out of the steam and won’t suffer from improper blood sugar or glucose levels.
3) Physical Fitness
- In the lead up to the condition, another important advice would be to care for your physical health and help keep it in peak condition. After all, it’s what will help you ward off the diabetic related issues along with eating disorders away.
- But People who are underweight or suffering from unstable vital organs or having compulsive behavior may stay away from exercise. Other than that, for the rest of the lot integrating physical fitness into the diabulimia treatment routine is a good way to tackle it.
4) Prioritizing health over weight
- Another thing to keep in mind is the way you should prioritize your health way above your weight. Much preteen and teenage who render under the risked age group for Diabulimia indulge in skipping meals and physical peak fitness to help lose the weight. Don’t count on that one as that can lead to severity for you.
The Complications associated with Diabulimia
Many individuals suffering from diabetes and Diabulimia are on the cusp of great severity if not handled properly. The condition may lead to many life threatening issues for them. We here would look into a few of those complications for people suffering from Diabulimia.
- People suffering from Diabulimia are more prone to earlier death than their counterparts almost 13 years before the ones who don’t skip their insulin routines.
- Diabulimia may lead to short-term issues like diabetic ketoacidosis where patients may end up having to deal with a medical
- On the longer term, the complications arising are in the ilk of nerve damage, retina damage, heart and kidney diseases and more.
Diabulimia is something that needs to be taken proper care of. Many of those suffering from these eating disorders are guilty of exploiting their insulin intake which to be fair is as harmful as it can be for a diabetic patient. There are many cases arising from the diabetic eating disorders these days.
However, it isn’t entirely incurable and can be taken care off with proper health and diet routine. Always keep your health in top fit and you won’t have to worry a nick.