Human Body although referred to as the best functioning system in the world isn’t immune to some outbursts from time to time. With the passage of time or due to other reasons around like weather, lifestyle and more, human body contracts different diseases along the way. We’re not being all dull and gloomy, not at all, it’s just that we want the readers to be aware of their body and certain diseases that may hamper them.
We’ll have our say on one metabolic disease named diabetes and look to offer insights as to what a person with diabetes needs to know about. We’ll keep close tabs on the disease and its cause and would state the precautionary steps for it too down the line.
Read along as we present ‘What do people with diabetes need to know’.
Table of Contents
A certain metabolic disease that increases the blood sugar level in the body over an extended period, diabetes is something that shouldn’t be taken at ease. It generally causes the body to store glucose adhering to its inability to properly use it. As such, the glucose levels increase the blood flow and causes the blood sugar level to rise high up.
The different types of Diabetes
Diabetes at present is divided into two major types as Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes. The first type of diabetes causes the body to stop the production of insulin which disables the bodily function to change the glucose into energy. Normally the kids and young adults are affected more by this type of diabetes. The personal suffering from Type 1 diabetes should take 1 insulin injection on a daily basis.
As for the Type 2 diabetes, this one is kind of insulin resistance and occurs in people over the age of 40. This occurs when the body doesn’t produce enough of insulin. We’ll have more on the different type of diabetes in the upcoming piece of ours.
The Symptoms regarding Diabetes
The symptoms related to diabetes are weight loss, increased thirst and hunger, increased urination and more. These changes vary from the type of diabetes whether Type 1 or Type 2. Although not specifically designated to diabetes, certain symptoms like blurry vision, fatigue, headache or more can appear too.
Sometimes, the symptoms don’t ever show up like in the case of Type 2 diabetes. In such a scenario, the person might live up for months and years without any idea on diabetes and its occurrence.
What’s the treatment procedure for Diabetes?
Diabetes, whether Type 1 variant or the Type 2 variant, needs ample care so the person remains healthy throughout. We’ll have the answers for it down below-
a) A trip to an endocrinologist will help you better in treating Have a periodical checkup and seek the personalized plans for treatment. That would help you relieve your body and mind off the stress.
b) A peculiar thing when treating diabetes is to balance your body’s glucose levels. A simple measurement tool shall help you monitor your body and its glucose levels easily on a daily basis. Always invest in a good monitoring equipment.
c) You need to engage yourself in physical activity so that your body uses the insulin in a better way. Physical activity is a must to convert the glucose into the blood stream into the energy for the body. Engage your body for at least 30 minutes of physical workout in a day like walking, routine exercise and yoga.
d) Always have a planned meal, something that shall help your body greatly. Here’s a short roundup of food-related habits you need to follow-
e) Have foods that are rich in healthy carbs and fiber like fruits, vegetables, grains and more. These sort of food will help regulate your body’s glucose levels.
f) Always eat at aregular interval, at a gap of 2-3 hrs. to keep your body regulated. Only eat until you’re full and don’t overload your body.
g) Check back on your bodily weight and try to keep it within the standard precision. That shall mean avoiding sweets, animal fats and more.
Specific diet plan for Diabetes patients
We talked about diet being one of the most important cohesive things in diabetes for people. We would further dwell deep into this matter and provide you with a proper diet plan for it. We’ll do a separate column on the foods you should intake and foods you should avoid.
Foods you should Intake
- Whole grains
- Legumes and lentils
- Foods with Omega-3 fatty acids like tuna, sardines, cod, salmon.
- Healthy monounsaturated fats like olive oil, canola oil, almonds, peanuts, avocados.
Foods you should Avoid
- Processed Foods like Meat
- Trans fat induced foods
- Foods with saturated fats
- Baked items
- Dairy products with high-fat level
- Sugar and carbonated drinks
- Fried and salty foods
Medication Plan for Diabetes patients
As is the case generally, diabetes can be controlled by having a good lifestyle with ample physical workout and a good influx of diet. However, several medications prevail around in cases when the need arises. Here’s some of it.
- Metformin, something that can improve your body’s response to insulin and lower your sugar levels in the blood.
- Meglitinides or Glinides, offered in cases when fast-acting medications are required to stimulate the release of insulin from the pancreas.
- Thiazolidinediones, to make your body respond better and sensitively to insulin.
- Glucagon-like Peptide for slowing the digestion process and improving the body’s blood sugar level.
- Sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 for helping the kidneys in prevention against reabsorbing the sugar into the blood back again.
Apart from these medications, you might as well need to address your blood pressure or cholesterol levels if such issues persist. An insulin injection might be needed on a daily basis furthermore.
However, we strongly advise you to consult a diabetes specialist before going ahead with medications and seek their guidance on the combinations of medication you should take.
Any complications associated with Diabetes?
Diabetes requires a whole lot of care and guidance to keep in under the cosh. A properly devised meal plan and exercise regime are what is most needed for it. The thing about diabetes is any mismanagement and poor care might lead to complications down the line.
Generally, diabetes might cause further complications like heart-related diseases, kidney failures, blood vessel diseases and eye blindness in some cases. There are cases where people needed an amputation adhering to the never healing wound.
The best bet is to keep your body’s glucose level managed and cared. Keep your blood glucose level nearby the normal range, and you could reduce any risk of complications.
Is diabetes curable or even preventable?
Let’s do this one in two parts. Shall we?
Diabetes a curable enigma?
- As for the first question on whether diabetes is curable, it’s manageable and can be controlled for but cannot be cured in a lifetime. You’ll need to go through the right medications and exercise plans with rightful diets to support your body and keep your blood sugar levels at a normal.
- That shall help your body to be clear of any complications and keep you fit forever.
Diabetes, a preventable disease?
- As things stand, diabetes hasn’t become as preventable as people perceive it to be. The only thing can keep your body prevented from the diabetes is a healthy lifestyle.
- Fit a proper exercise plan or workout into your daily life and decrease your intake in foods that cause the blood sugar levels to swell. That would keep you off the grids on diabetes and prevent you from contracting it.
Diabetes in itself isn’t something to shy away with. Discard your sedentary life and keep your diet regimes towards the healthy side and you’re good to go. Do have a regular consult and follow-up with your diabetes specialist so as to get the best bit of advice on the treatment.
We’ll be back with another one on diabetes in the near future. Stay tuned.