Diabetes is a fast spreading disease and has become a sort of an epidemic across the world. It is very important to understand the meaning and causes of the same.
Diabetes is a disease which is caused either due to the lack of proper production of insulin by the pancreas or due to the improper use of insulin in the human body that affects the blood sugar level or the glucose level in the body.
Hence, in the treatment of diabetes, it is extremely important that there is a regulated control on the blood glucose or sugar level. What makes diabetes worse is the fact that when a person is suffering from this condition, he or she is prone to developing other complications as well, which include heart and kidney-related diseases, diabetic eye, amputations, nerve damage, skin problems, etc.
Experts are always looking for something natural which can treat this extremely complicated disease. One such treatment of diabetes is the use of the readily available spice, cinnamon. The spice is highly beneficial in effectively dealing with diabetes and the other related complications.
Table of Contents
Cinnamon and Diabetes
Cinnamon, the spice that has long been used in our kitchen, has been associated with the treatment of diabetes, particularly that of diabetes mellitus. As per a few research, the spice is known to improve the blood sugar levels as well as improve insulin sensitivity.
It is a spice derived from the barks of the cinnamon tree, and it found in areas covering South America, the Caribbean, and also Southeast Asia.
In the following paragraphs, we get into the details and find out more about cinnamon for diabetes.
Some Facts Related to Cinnamon
In order to understand the effect of the popular Indian spice, cinnamon on diabetes, we first would want to know more about the spice itself in general.
Many of us know cinnamon as the popular spice which is regularly used in our kitchen. What many of us do not realize is the fact that this spice has long been popular amongst the medical fraternity because of its strong and powerful healing properties.The spice has been popular for its amazing medicinal properties not only in India but also in other countries which include China and Egypt.
Since long, the cinnamon spice has been used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes as well as for the overall health benefits of the individuals. Amongst the several health benefits are an improvement of digestive problems, enhancing colon health, benefits to hair and skin, amongst others.
Some facts related to the spice which lends the above healing and medicinal powers to the plant are as follows:
- The high content of fiber and calcium in the cinnamon spice lends it the extraordinary health benefits.
- The powerful antioxidants present herein help to maintain the required level of blood pressure of the one’s who consume it regularly.
- It is very important to know that there are two different types of the spice available today: Ceylon as well as Cassia.
- The essential minerals present in cinnamon include iron and magnesium.
- It has long been used in beauty products as well due to the intrinsic properties which help our skin and blood.
As seen above, the cinnamon spice is highly beneficial for the good health of the humans in general. It also is beneficial for the efficient treatment and better management of diabetes. Cinnamon has traditionally been used for the effective treatment and management of type 2 diabetes in particular.
In the following paragraphs, we determine and analyze more carefully how the popular spice is useful in the treatment and management of diabetes, what are the effects of cinnamon on the blood sugar levels of a diabetic patient, and how to better use the readily available spice for dealing with diabetes effectively.
Relation Between Cinnamon and Blood Sugar or Blood Glucose Levels
For the effective management of diabetes, it is important that the blood sugar or the blood glucose levels are kept under control. Hence, whenever we talk about diabetes and the effect of any food item on the management of diabetes and its various complications, it is extremely important to understand how the particular food item under question affects the level of blood glucose or blood sugar in our body.
This paragraph explains the effect and advantages which the consumption of the spice cinnamon has on our blood glucose. It is this property which makes this readily available spice of our kitchen one of the most sought after food items recommended by the experts for diabetes treatment and management.
According to some of the studies conducted by the experts, regular intake of cinnamon is extremely beneficial for those with diabetes because it helps to lower down the blood glucose levels. It contains properties and chemicals which help in the reduction of bad cholesterol as well as the triglycerides and thereby helping in managing diabetes efficiently. While the readily available version of the spice, cassia cinnamon is very strong, the other version known as Ceylon cinnamon is much milder and is preferred by most individuals.
Having said that, it is extremely important to consult your medical expert before including the spice in your daily diet because it may or may not be suitable if you have already contracted diabetes, depending on factors such as type of medications you are taking, what is the type of lifestyle, etc. however, if you are pre-diabetic, you should definitely go for the spice!
Is Cinnamon Good for Diabetes? Benefits of the Spice for Diabetics
As discussed in the above paragraphs, the cinnamon spice is very helpful in the treatment of diabetes and its various related complications. Several research has been conducted in this regard which has time and again proved the benefits of the much sought after spice in our kitchen has to offer when it comes to diabetes.
Following are some of the benefits of the cinnamon plant and spice in the treatment of the disease:
- Clinical studies conducted have time and again proved that cinnamon, particularly cassia cinnamon improves the level of blood glucose in those suffering from diabetes.
- It is also known to reduce the amount of bad cholesterol present in our body.
- Besides, cinnamon goes a long way in reducing some of the complications which might be associated with the disease. Regular and controlled consumption is known to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases which is particularly common if you are a diabetic patient.
- The amount of serum glucose and triglycerides is also known to reduce.
- If you consume around 6 to 7 grams of the spice regularly, on a daily basis, the process of stomach emptying is delayed to a great extent. When this happens, you do not tend to put on all the extra calories as you tend to feel full and satisfied for a longer time. This process of keeping the weight under control is of particular importance in type 2 diabetes as obesity is something which mostly contributes to type 2 diabetes.
- The immune system of the body shows a boost thereby helping you to avoid all the other complications which are so common if you are suffering from diabetes.
- Anti-clotting effect of the blood is another advantage which helps a diabetic patient.
- The presence of essential nutrients, fiber, and vitamins go a long way in helping one to feel satiated for a long time. This, in turn, helps to maintain a healthy weight which is so important to control type 2 diabetes particularly.
- The antioxidants present in the spice also help in relieving pain should one suffer from problems such as arthritis, etc.
- Finally, the growth of tumors and the cancer cells is also prevented with the regular inclusion of the cinnamon spice in your daily diet.
Thus, cinnamon can prove to be extremely useful for a person who suffers from diabetes and its related complications. Having said that, there are a few risks associated with the over consumption of the spice which one should be aware of. You should definitely know the risks associated with consuming too much of cinnamon as that will lead to several health issues.
The following paragraph shows some of the risks that might be associated with the consumption of the readily available spice for a diabetic patient.
Possible Risks Associated with the Consumption of the Cinnamon Spice for Diabetes?
As we have often heard: Too much of anything is bad! Hence, as mentioned in the above section, too much consumption of the spice might lead to a few risks. The following could be some of the risks:
- Experts suggest that if you are someone who already has a problem in your liver or are suffering from liver damage, you should avoid taking the spice. The reason being the liver problem will only accentuate with the intake of cinnamon.
- The spice is known to react with a lot of other blood glucose reducing supplements, which include:
- Bitter Melon
- Ginseng, etc.
Due to such reactions, one has to be very careful with the consumption of the spice when you are suffering from diabetes.
- In most of the cases, it has been found that the usage of the spice does not necessarily lead to the lowering of the blood glucose levels or the bad cholesterol. This is especially true if you are someone who already is suffering from diabetes.
Given the above risks, one has to be extremely careful when one is thinking of including the spice in your daily diet. It is here where a medical advice and consultation is highly recommended. You also need an advice as to what should be the quantity that you should intake in order to get the maximum benefits.
How to Use Cinnamon for Diabetes?
Cinnamon has long been used in several forms and each form shall have its own benefits and advantages.You can include the spice in your diet in various forms such as the traditional way of using it as a spice, in juice, in the form of powder, or even capsules.
The following points explain the usage of the cinnamon spice in various ways when you are someone who is suffering from diabetes or its other related complications:
- The cassia cinnamon is known to contain an element called coumarin. If you are allergic to the same, it is often advised that you do not take more than one tablespoon of the spice in one day.
- If you are someone who is looking for cinnamon supplements, make it a point to ensure that the same is authentic. One of the ways of doing it is consulting your doctor and another way is to go for those supplements which have well-known brand names attached including NSF International, US Pharmacopeia, amongst others.
- Make it a point to not take more than 6 grams of cinnamon daily. While doing so, it is not recommended to take all the 6 grams at one go. Start with a little quantity at one time and then as you progress through the day, achieve the target that you wish to.
- Experts recommend the use of cassia cinnamon variety for the desired results.
Thus, following the few tips as those mentioned above, experts recommend the daily intake of cinnamon in various forms due to its extremely useful properties that help in leading and managing life better, particularly if you suffer from diabetes.
We hope that the above post has been helpful in removing some of the doubts you had with regards to the relation between diabetes and the consumption of cinnamon as part of the regular diet. Although the various nutrients, compounds, and chemicals present in the spice can provide benefits to those suffering from diabetes, there is surely a need to take all the necessary precautions as mentioned in the article.
The spice is found in two different varieties and it is important to understand that each variety is different from the other. What might be readily available in stores may not be the best option for you.
Hence, do remember to consult your medical doctor before consuming cinnamon in juice, powder, and capsules, particularly if you are under certain kind of medication. As seen above, the traditionally available spice interferes with different drugs and medicines taken for diabetes. An expert advice also important in order to determine what is the standard prescribed quantity of the spice and capsules that you can take as the standard may vary from one person to another basis a number of factors such as lifestyle, the extent of physical exercise, and the complications suffered owing to diabetes!!