If you are detected with diabetes while being pregnant, this is known as gestational diabetics. It occurs in 7% of women. Gestational diabetes, if not treated in the early stage can lead to complications in the later date. Women with the controlled limit in blood sugar deliver healthy babies. When the carbohydrate restriction in blood does not burn calories, then it leads to diabetes. Glucose is considered as the primary source of energy for the body. Still, it is considered as the enemy of diabetes.
Table of Contents
What are the foods that should be avoided during the gestational period?
If you have gestational diabetes, then you should avoid some foods like- milk, yogurt, fruits, juices, rice, grains, cereals, pasta, bread, tortillas, bagels, rolls, split beans, dried beans, lentils, corn, yams, potatoes, winter squash, and peas.
What are the primary dietary considerations while opting for a diet in gestational period?
- Your physician will prescribe you certain food and calculate some carbohydrates you need at meals. There are some facts which you need to keep in mind while opting for a healthy diet.
- Divide your day and your meals accordingly into three main and two snacks.
- The carbohydrate intake of your lunch should be reasonably small.
- Drink one cup of milk a day and restrict the amount.
- Limit the portion of fruit you eat.
- Mind your breakfast menu and eat accordingly.
- Limit the intake of sweets and desert.
- Use artificial sweetener instead of natural sugar.
Some useful breakfast ideas for gestational diabetics
In case you have gestational diabetes, then you have to stress a lot of the intake of breakfast. Breakfast is essential as it’s the primary source of nutrition after a long gap. So, it’s evident that you stress a lot on your breakfast. The following breakfast tips can be handy for gestational diabetics:
– Eating cereals in breakfast: You may start with whole grains like oats, muesli, and corn flakes. These are rich n dietary fiber and will help in curbing down the extra sugar level of the body. Muesli is a gorgeous combination of useful grains and dried fruits; Cornflakes is simple, light and tasty.
– Adding fruits to your breakfast: You may cautiously add fruits to your breakfast. Fruits are naturally sweet and hence may affect the level of sugar in your blood. You may choose pomegranate, guava, melon, and papaya. But be cautious about the quantity to be used as your physician is the right person to guide in this regard.
– Adding dairy products: Dairy products are an essential, but too much of them might affect your sugar level. You may add some butter, cheese in limited amounts and after consultation with your physician.
– Adding proteins: You may add little protein-rich food like baked beans, sausage, and eggs in the limited amount. Protein is an essential for a pregnant woman.
– Add vegetables to your breakfast: You may add some vegetable in your breakfast menu like boiled broccoli, carrot, zucchini and bell pepper. These will help in adding vitamins and other essential minerals to your body.
Opt for the healthy choice of breakfast
– Porridge: Boil oats with water and then ad fat-free skimmed milk. After it becomes a thick constituency, then add chopped blueberries, apples or banana for taste. You may add dry fruits like apricots, plums, and dates. Calories: 65, Total carbohydrate: 15 gm, dietary fiber: 1.5 gm, protein: 1.2 gm.
– Egg frittata, brown bread: Beat eggs with chopped onions, tomatoes, bell pepper and dash little salt and pepper. Add oil in a skillet and then pour the content and heat till it solidifies. Add ricotta cheese and then serve with brown bread. Calories: 85, total carbohydrates: 17.gms, proteins: 2.3 gm, dietary fiber: 1.7 gm.
– Muesli and yogurt: Add half cup low-fat yogurt with muesli, and then add cinnamon powder, milk and then mix. When it is ready, then top with blueberries and other dry fruits. It is an excellent way to enjoy a healthy breakfast. Calories: 55, total carbohydrates: 14 gm, proteins: 1.4 gm, dietary fiber: 2 gm.
– Baked eggs with spinach, tomato: Chop spinach and toss in a pan, then transfer to a baking tray. Add chopped cherry tomatoes, boiled portabella mushrooms, and chopped spring onions. Add the beaten egg over it, add salt and then set it to bake at 180 Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Remove when ready and you might tip with some grated cheese for taste. Calories: 95, total carbohydrate: 15 gm. proteins: 3 gm, dietary fiber: 1.5 gm.
– Egg breakfast cups: Toss some bacon and mushroom in a skillet and make them crispy. Beat some eggs and keep aside. Place the bacon, mushroom inside the cupcake molds and then pour the beaten egg. Add salt and top with chopped basil leaves. Leave in that condition and then bake at 180 Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Calories: 100, total carbohydrates: 16 gm, dietary fiber: 1 gm, protein: 2.2 gm.
– Brown bread toast, tomatoes and avocado: Toast some brown bread and place on the dish. Cut slices of avocado and plum tomato. Try with the bread. Calories: 45, Total carbohydrates: 12 gm. Protein: 1.1 gm. Dietary fiber: 1.5 gm.
– Scrambled egg, parmesan cheese: In a skillet add some oil and then stir-fry some cherry tomatoes, blanched spinach, button mushrooms and Italian herbs. When it’s done, then add eggs and stir on a continuous basis. Then transfer to a plate. You may serve with a slice of brown bread. Calories: 55, total carbohydrates: 15 gm, protein: 1.5 gm, Dietary fiber: 1.8 gm.
– Whole bread, bacon, tomato, and egg: Take a skillet and add some oil in it. Then stir fry some bacon and make it crispy. Boil eggs, remove the shell and slice it in a roundish manner. Then toast whole grain bread and top with eggs, sliced tomatoes and bacon. Make equal halves and then serve. Enjoy this healthy and full some breakfast. Calories: 65, total carbohydrates: 17 gm, protein: 1.8 gm, dietary fiber: 2.3 gm.
Pregnancy is a very delicate phase of life. It’s all about minding your health, life as well as the future baby. Any discrepancies in health condition will lead to an unwanted situation and prove fatal both for the baby and the mother. So, care should be taken in all aspects including food, exercise, and medication during pregnancy.