A tough life-long disease, Diabetes is something that affects the body’s functioning. It affects body’s glucose and blood sugar levels. Although diabetes has different types, the primarily seen ones are Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational.
We here would be looking into the Type 2 Diabetes in brief and shall seek answers for the same. Join in as we dig deep into ‘Type 2 Diabetes and its Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Diet’.
Let’s start off then.
Table of Contents
On a general note, our body’s pancreas is stimulated to produce insulin for the body. The insulin helps change the glucose obtained from the food into energy for the body. In the case of Type 1 Diabetes, the person suffering from the disease has his/her pancreas affected and hence the insulin production is affected.
However, in the Type 2 Diabetes, the pancreas still produces the insulin but the body doesn’t use it as required upon. Also known by as insulin resistance, Type 2 diabetes is seen commonly among the diabetic patients, the stats revealing at 85% of all diabetic patients.
The Root Cause of Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 Diabetes is caused as a result of combination of different things like DNA, obesity, metabolic syndrome, broken beta cells and more. More so over, childhood obesity is one of the grave reasons for diabetes later in the adult age.
The disease is also seen in people with high blood pressure, high level of cholesterol, extra fat layers around the body and waist. For many, the high glucose production from liver also affects the way diabetes is contracted upon.
The Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
There are different risk factors associated with Type 2 Diabetes. A few major things that affect highly in Type 2 Diabetes are-
- If the person is above 45 years of age.
- If a parent, brother or sister has been suffering from Diabetes.
Medical and Health Factors
- High Blood Pressure
- Blood Vessel Disease
- Heart-related issues
- Low levels of good Cholesterol
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Lack of Physical Workout
- High levels of stress
- Unmatched Sleep cycle
- Indulging in Smoking or Alcohol
Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes
Generally, the symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes are mild on the onset and isn’t noticed for many years. However, one must not avoid any initial warnings of the disease. We’d list down the symptoms of the Type 2 Diabetes down below for you to look upon.
- Feeling thirsty all the time
- Constant urge to pee
- Affection vision, i.e. Blurry
- Irritable feel
- Tiresome or worn out feel
- Never healing wounds
- Yeast related infections
- Numbness in body parts
The Diagnosis and Treatment Procedure
When diagnosing Type 2 Diabetes, the doctor seeks the blood test of the patient to look through the blood sugar and glucose levels in the body. Generally, there are quite a few tests done by the doctor to anticipate diabetes and its status. Here’s how you’d be tested for-
- This test will look for the average of your blood glucose over the extended period of last 2 or 3 months.
Fasting Plasma Glucose
- This test is done on an empty stomach and showcases the blood sugar level of the body. The patient requires not to eat or drink anything except water for almost 8 hrs. before the start of the test.
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
- Also shortly acronymic as OGTT, this one helps check the balance of your blood sugar level before and after inducing a sweet drink in the body. It will be once before and once after 2 hrs. of drinking a sweet drink to check how the body anticipated the sugar levels.
The diet regime for Type 2 Diabetes
Diet is quintessentially a major part of the diabetic patient as it helps keep the blood sugar levels in check. No doubt, why diets are prioritized such heavily in the disease. We here would list the diet regime for you to indulge upon-
- Timely and scheduled meals and snacks
- Indulge in foods with high nutrition and low calories
- Skip overeating
- Go through the food labels carefully before diving in
The Foods to Intake
- Healthy Carbs with High fibers like Vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains.
- Healthy Omega-3 fatty acids like tuna, salmon, cod, halibut, sardines.
- Healthy monounsaturated fats like olive oil, canola oil, walnuts, avocados, pecans, almonds and more.
The Foods to Avoid
- Foods laden with saturated fats
- Foods with high trans fats
- Processed meats
- Organ meats like liver
- Baked items
- Sugar-based or carbonated drinks
- High-fat inclusive dairy foods
- Salty and fried foods.
Things to take care of
Here are a few things that you should take care of in Type 2 Diabetes. Mark these and you’d be good to go. Go on.
Shed your weight
- A peculiar thing about diabetes is that it affects obese people in most cases. Shedding a few kg or pounds will help majorly in decreasing the risk for diabetes. As stats reveal, a 10% drop of weights will help decrease the chances by half.
Indulge in Physical Workout
- Having a good schedule of physical workout is a must if you’re seeking to control or do away with diabetes-related Include at least 30 minutes of physical activities in your daily schedule.
Eating the right meal
- Stuffing your body with junks and more isn’t a good way to avoid diabetes. Avoiding junks, processed carbs, sugar and carbonated drinks and saturated fats will be the best bet to keep away Also look to limit your red meat intake.
Avoid Smoking and Drinking
- Might not look as simple as its said, but if you want your body not to be prone to diabetes, then skip smoking and drinking. Even though the past cannot be altered, the present can be. Avoid indulging in smoking or gulping down a drink. Keep them at bay.
Complications associated with Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 Diabetes if uncared for, can cause a whole lot of complications later in the life. Some of these are-
- Heart-related Issues
- Kidney Issues (Read here: Diabetic Kidney Disease)
- Eye and Eyesight Issues
- Slowness in the healing of wounds
We hope to have helped your cause with this one. We will be back with another one in the nearest of times. Stay tuned. Adios.