Whether type 2 diabetes is reversible or not has been one of the most debated and discussed questions. In this article, we shall discuss this topic while analyzing the possibilities of such a reversal and also determining the success stories of people who in fact, have achieved this challenging task.
So, come and join in for the article “Can Type 2 Diabetes Be Reversed?”
Table of Contents
Is Type 2 Diabetes Reversible?
Well, when you talk about reversing type 2 diabetes, you necessarily mean that you are improving the sensitivity of the body towards the hormone insulin in the long term. In the field of medical study, it is said that if you have been successful in bringing your HbA1c levels below 42 mmol/mol and you have done it without taking any medicines or drugs, you have reversed or remitted your type 2 diabetes.
Most of the people believe that following an adequate diet, exercising regularly, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help reverse the condition. However, you should not forget that type 2 diabetes is something which is affected by the environment and genetical factors to a great extent. As a result, you need to remember that in spite of taking various measures to reverse type 2, not everyone is successful in achieving the same. As per a few reputed organizations like the American Diabetes Association, the disease is like a “life sentence” and you cannot put an end to the same. However, there are others who believe that the condition is reversible.
Possible Effective Ways to Reverse Diabetes
Although it is not an easy task to reverse type 2 diabetes, many studies show that you can reduce the intensity of the disease, and in a few cases, you can even reverse it. You will have to do the following if you want to reverse type 2 diabetes:
Follow a Diet Plan
Following a diet plan will go a long way in helping you reverse the effects of diabetes. To begin with, you need to follow the below-mentioned guidelines as far as your diet is concerned:
- You need to go for all types of green, leafy vegetables
- To for those food items that give you lean proteins. This includes meats, fishes, eggs, and legumes
- You should also look for healthy sources of fat. Not all type of fat is bad for your body. Some food items that consists of healthy fats include olive oil, seeds, nuts, etc.
- Go for all those types of food items which are low in carbohydrates as well as calories
- For avoiding yourself from facing the problem of dehydration, you should drink water in adequate quantity. Other items which you can drink include herbal teas and coffee in some amount. Avoid drinking fruit juices or sodas.
If you are following your daily exercise routine, you stand a great chance of possible reversal of type 2 diabetes. When you engage in regular exercising, your body becomes more sensitive to the hormone insulin. Regular physical activity also leads to a reduction in the elevated levels of blood glucose in your body. However, the one thing to remember here is that you need to combine exercise with a healthy diet as well.
Exercise plays wonders and can reduce your type 2 diabetes to a great extent. According to a study that was published in 2015, many patients who had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes were carefully studied. Those who were into regular exercising, 67 percent of them were successful in reversing their type 2 diabetes partially.
Take Less Stress
Taking stress releases hormones that are known to promote and accelerate the contraction of type 2 diabetes. Also, if you are stressed and are not taking enough sleep, you might be prone to put on weight. Hence, if you can avoid taking the stress, you will be in a better position to reverse type 2 diabetes.
Bariatric surgery has also shown promising results when it comes to reversing type 2 diabetes. It is a gastric bypass surgery and has been known to show great results. Through this surgery, the surgeons make your stomach smaller so that you are able to control your portion sizes.
Thus, the above are the following few ways in which you can reverse your type 2 diabetes. There have been several success stories that have been heard of through many years. The success rate of reversing type 2 diabetes make us believe in the fact that the condition can surely be reversed. A few examples have been listed in the paragraph that follows.
The sooner who take to the above activities after you have been diagnosed, the better are your chances of reversing the condition.
Research Shows that Type 2 Diabetes Can be Reversed
Various research and studies that have been conducted by experts prove that although very difficult, it is not completely impossible to put type 2 diabetes at a pause. Following are the results of a few positive research:
- As per one of the studies published in the year 2014 in Naples, a few participants who followed a low-carb Mediterranean diet for almost a year were able to remit type 2 diabetes. The percentage was around 15 percent. 5 percent of the participants in this study were able to get rid of the condition after following the diet for six long years
- In another study, diabetes patients exercised for almost 175 minutes in a week while also limiting their calorie intake to somewhere around 1200 to 1800 units in a day. After a year, 10 percent of these participants were able to get rid of their diabetes medicines. There were others who were now pre-diabetic.
Thus, the above are the few examples which prove that what was once thought to be impossible has now become possible. However, it is really challenging and there are people who are unable to achieve it in spite of years of following the recommended diet and exercise.
We hope that the above article has been helpful in clearing some of your doubts as to whether or not type 2 diabetes is reversible. While there cannot be a definite yes or no to this question, there certainly have been instances in the past which show that type 2 diabetes can indeed be reversed in a few cases!!